Family Counseling Orlando
Family Counseling Orlando has always been one of my biggest passions. I love working with the whole system. Family counseling moves fast. Strategic and structural methods of counseling where I am highly involved as a member or “player” in the family. I am not the therapist that will sit back and listen for an hour only to throw out a few suggestions. I am constantly looking for patterns and areas of communication broken down and not working. Once I find the loops and negative systems, I jump right in and start the work.
Once the families pattern is identified, the process of restructuring the family system begins. I may want to work with just a few for one topic or area, the next visit may be individually or just with the parents. I do not play the blame game and support pointing fingers at other family members. Family therapy looks at a broken system that has been in playing out among the family. It no longer works. It needs a fresh new approach. The slightest shift in the way just a few family members react, respond and communicates with each other, changes the entire system. It brings forth balance, harmony, joy and peace.
Those family members most resistant may be struggling with tremendous amounts of anxiety, depression, feelings of isolation, fear and anger. It is vital that all family members be heard. Seek to understand the reason a family member is shut down. At what point did the family member close up? How can change start to occur?
Family Counseling Orlando and Therapy is Effective
Family counseling and therapy is very unique. Most often times very small shifts and changes in behavior result quickly in positive results. Don’t worry if only one member is seeking counseling for the entire family. Change can happen even with just one! It is a gift to give your family the opportunity to grow and provide a safe and nurturing environment. Family therapy is effective. This is due to the dynamics of the family members and the ability to work with more than just one member. The more members involved the faster the change.
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Narrative therapy along with role playing are largely incorporated into the sessions. Gaining the awareness of how the learned conditions or the narrative (story) we place on incidents that happen is important. It’s when we see that the stories are personal and unique to each family member that we stop telling one another they should or should not feel a certain way. We stop seeing things as only black and white. There is room for individuality and expression of self.
Benefits of Family Counseling Orlando
- Improvement in family communication.
- Increased awareness of roles and how to reach each other in times of distress.
- A more cohesive system working together for the same common goals.
- Flexibility in communication and increased sense of autonomy and healthy dependence.
- A greater connection to others and self.
- Regaining your self-confidence as a parent and as the child or teen.
- Reduction in anxiety and stress.
- Better more solid relationships.
- An increase in intimacy with your loved ones.
- Increase in assertiveness and ability to speak your mind in a healthy way.
- Regaining emotional stability.
- Improved quality of life.
- Each member able to reach their full potential.
- An overall lightness settles in and each member hooks their attention off of each other and let’s them be who they are.
- Step parent and blended family issues
- Financial hardships
- Effective discipline and parenting styles
- Coping with a move, loss of a close member of the family, pet.
- Anger related issues.
- Power and control issues
- Mutual Respect and lack of it
- Ongoing domestic violence, (verbal, physical, emotional)
- Coping with a divorce or separation.
- Problem with academics or peer relationships.
Family Counseling Orlando Specialties
Effective Parenting– Explore what works when it comes to all family members being heard, understood and communicating in a healthy way.
Single Parenting– You are not alone. Learn to process the difficulties. Understand how to make life more manageable for you and your children.
The Importance of Family Communication– Learn the how to effectively communicate as a healthy system. Respect, listening and validating each other as a whole and as unique individuals.
Helicopter Parenting- Do you allow your children the room they need to become independent thinkers? Are you able to let them face their own consequences and challenges natural in the process of development?
Toxic Families -How to tell if your family is showing signs of being toxic and what you can do.
Benefits of Family Counseling – What are they and can counseling help my family?
Broken Communication Thanks to Texting- Texting is now the new way family members communicate. It is doing harm for families. Understand how to get back to the basic and talk.
The Ideal Family and What It May Look Like – Take a look inside what a healthy family looks like. No family is perfect but there is always room for growth.
Family Conflict and How to Deal With It- What do you do when your family is in constant turmoil? Understanding how to respond to your own needs and those of the other family members is vital for strengthening the family bond.